Thursday, April 29, 2010

Long time since posting

It has been a long time since I've posted.  So many things have happened but it seems it's about this time every night that I think about coming to the blog.  Then, I talk myself out of putting anything here because it is so late.  Well, I don't work tomorrow and I can afford to sleep a little later and so I'll see what time I get through with this post.  Humph?  It is 10:13 p.m. now.

The minor decorating is done on the house and I still have some work to do.  It has come to a stand still because I fell and I tore my left rotator cuff.  Smart, huh?  None the less, I'm not making the curtains I had planned for awhile and the surgery is planned for June 3rd with the next 5 weeks being spent in one of the dreaded pillow slings.  I know all about it as I spent 3 weeks in one with my right shoulder in June of 2009. I guess I'm just lucky that it is the left shoulder this time.

I managed a little trip to Frisco to see Brett, Kristy, Landry, and Jentri.  I wanted to say I'd spent a birthday with one of my grandchildren.  Seems my life over the past few years involved so much of my Mom's and Trent's care that traveling was so very difficult.  With some help from Garrett to come in and take care of Mom, I left to go for the closest weekend to a real birthday.  Landry is now 8 and the time there for his birthday was very special for me.  I also spent a Friday with Jentri.  We had a great time!  I wouldn't trade the time for anything.  I do wish I'd have had a working left shoulder though.

My biggest news is that we did get the information from the Sports Legacy Institute about Trent's brain and brain stem.  Brett, Garrett and I spent about 45 minutes on a conference call with Dr. Ann McKee, Dr. Robert Stern, and Lisa McHale, the family liaison.  Trent most certainly had Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy which was very severe.  In addition, he had Alzheimer's disease and indicators of Parkinson's disease.  Which came first, what was the foremost cause of Trent's death?  It was most certainly the Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE). We gained new information and all of us will certainly be spreading information about the Sports Legacy Institute and its mission to protect others from this dreadful damage to one's brain.  I know I have much more to share as time goes by.  Please take an opportunity to spend some time on their website, Sports Legacy Institute.  At some point in the future, you will be able to go there to read Trent's story.

I guess that is where I'll leave you tonight.  10:45

1 comment:

Andree Tracey said...

Hi Donna! Nice to hear from you via my blog. Sounds like you've been busy catching up with your life. Nothing like home decorating to get a new perspective and fresh start! That and travel.

I'm hoping to get more art made, now that Dad has been moved into a care facility -- I am reclaiming my art-making time that slowly disappeared over the last few years, as Dad's needs increased.

Yes, Texas could certainly contribute to my current collage. I love the myths and true stories of the Old West. I love horses & riding, too - at one time my family had four, I still have a dent in my leg from cutting it too close while barrel racing in my youth! (Although, if you put me on a horse now, I wouldn't know which end to steer!)

Hasta luego,

Andrée