Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Everyone is battling something

I sign many of my e-mails with this quote, "Be kinder than necessary because everyone is battling something."

It seems true these days. I have a favor to ask of you. I have a very dear friend, Sandy. Our husbands are never sure when we'll walk in at the other one's home. Sandy's husband has been experiencing a long combination of illnesses since the first weekend in October. He'll seem to be making a turn for the better and then wind up in the hospital again. I've never been a close friend to someone whose gone through this.

Tonight Sandy called. Her voice just didn't sound right, but I was afraid to ask. She said her husband was back in the hospital. He's lost about 50 lbs., is constantly weak and weaker, is throwing up. He's had near kidney failure, a major heart attack, bi-pass surgery, dehydrated, fluid on the lungs, a defibrillator implanted. Today one of the doctor's said that they absolutely must find what is going on. Then she said that he was so bad they might have to consider hospice.

Sandy came by a few minutes ago on her way back up to the hospital. She's a nurse and over her limit of care giving. We just held each other. I've not been a close friend to someone who might loose her husband. He is sixty-two. He's always been the one who accuses me of having Sandy's diversion, Donna and Art. I'm feeling so unbelievably sad for her tonight. I'll be praying tonight that the new tests reveal something to treat. Please add Sandy and Roland to your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: