Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Disappointment and Uncertainty
Last week I probably had the biggest disappointment of my working career. Those of you reading the blog know how excited I've been to have the autism program launch at NWTHS. We had done 2 evaluations with very positive input from the psychologist as well as the pediatrician that was in attendance. Reports were not hitting my office in a very timely manner but someone was taking the initiative to set up a template for us all to use to produce one report. It seemed worth the wait and each time I called on it some headway was reported. But last Wednesday I was blown away. One psychologist called to say that his agency had issues with billing that seemed irreconcilable and the remainder of his appointments with us would be canceled. Okay, deep breath, our offices say that the issues look easy enough to work out. Of course, it is the Wednesday that another psychologist is due to attend. I had called twice on Tuesday as a reminder and once Wednesday morning leaving messages each time, but I hadn't heard anything. I'm thinking every thing is fine. Our eval was scheduled for 1:00. At 1:10, I place another call to see if the psychologist is on the way. No answer but I'm choosing to assume they are running late. The pediatrician arrives. The family is here and they have driven about an hour and a half. We determine that we will evaluate, but apparently without the psychologist. I don't know whether I feel betrayed, sabotaged, or disappointed. I silently seethe while we perform the evaluation. I never heard from the psychologist. I contact them the next day to request the reports they have be finished immediately. I let the psychologist know that I should have received a courtesy call. No ill words exchanged but the powers that be at NWTHS will be making some calls. Now we are at a wait and see with lots of uncertainty. I am prayerful that the situation will be resolved or that another psychologist decides to join us. We are making an effort to do what is right for children and persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders. NWTHS is totally behind the concept so we'll see what we can do to 'git r dun'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Donna,I'm so sorry for your difficulties at work. That was so unprofessional. Can't believe they didn't even give you the courtesy of a response. As long as the hospital hasn't pulled out - sounds like you still have a shot. I'll try to post today to let you know what's going on here. Loved being with you and Trent. Think it went well! I know Paul enjoyed it. I want to plan on February with Rosemary.
Post a Comment