Saturday, December 13, 2008

I couldn't wait to call

I called the psychiatrist on Wednesday and Thursday. I didn't hear back from him until Friday. On Tuesday, I went to Jan Werner to pick up Mom to take her to the doctor. While Mom was gone, Trent apparently missed her and started obsessing about Mom. He was waiting at the front door when we walked in and he looked wild and made no sense. He yanked away from me and wanted to know if Mom were okay. I told him she was but he kept on and on.

The next day the bus driver said he'd had a rough day. He had paced in the foyer area most of the day trying to get out. When he arrived home, he continued to pace and obsess over the dogs. He follows them, calls them, asks about them and then will pick one up. Cookie after a little while of that had her ears laid back and would run away from him.

On Friday, I got a call from the Day Care. Trent had been agitated most of the day. She said he'd been asking when he could go home since about 11:00. Since he was so agitated, they let him lead the line for lunch. Well, he apparently scarfed his food quickly. He found an empty chair with food at it and proceeded to eat the second. The man came back to the chair and was angered as Trent had eaten his lunch. Trent wouldn't leave or apologize and the other man finally began to hit Trent in the stomach. They told me that he didn't fight back which is amazing to me but certainly a blessing.

Friday afternoon I got the call from the doctor. His suggestion was to continue with the usual dosage of the behavior med at night and give a 50 mg tablet of the same in the mornings. So today was the first day of that. Trent obsessed over the dogs all day today. Cookie was avidly trying to get away from him. He finally caught her and physically held her on the couch. She finally wiggled away and Trent cried and cried. She went under the bed stayed until Trent went to bed. Trent took Pugly to bed with him tonight. Pugly won't try to get away so it should be okay. It was awful to watch him tonight. He couldn't think about anything else.

Garrett went to Guymon today to get himself a place to live. Apparently there was 1 and only 1. He says it is a very small two bedroom house with a very small yard. It is a roof over his head and a yard for Dottie. I cry because I can't put Garrett in my lap and make him stay. I know he feels it is a true opportunity. My fears are not that it isn't an opportunity-it is truly selfish. How can I do this all by myself? Then I remember that I have good friends here. I hate to have to call upon them but I'll have to do so. I really can't do this alone.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Donna,
I am so sorry you are going through alone. My heart breaks for you. I wish I had answers. I pray for you and Trent daily. I'm sure Garrett is struggling in his own way. It's his dad and he is also helpless in how to help. Maybe with having his own practice he will be able to help financially. How can I help?
Love,
Gail

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

You can continue to pray that I can accept the things I can not change. I was so surprised at how saddened he was when Cookie broke away and hid. I pray today is a little less emotional. Someday I'll call for help or maybe a pitcher of margaritas. love you too.

Paul, Chris and Katie said...

Donna, I am with Gail. I pray for you and wish I was closer to help. I am hoping that Garrett is looking at this as his opportunity to make the kind of money that would put him in a position to alleviate some of your financial stress.I know the boys have good hearts...this is just tough all the way around. Love you and I'll call later today. Katie has a concert. Love you - Chris

Andree Tracey said...

Hi Donna,
I've been following your blog ever since I discovered your comment on my blog (thank you!) ages ago. I think of you and your family everyday, and you are in my prayers. You are a talented writer with a beautiful heart. Your blog is so insightful for others who are in the same boat, suffering with a family member in a similar situation. I don't know how you can find time to do the blog along with all the other things you have to do - you are truly amazing!

I am 60, single, and my 95 year old father has lived with me for 6 years now. He's more like a 2 year old,and requires a lot of care. I have no siblings or home care to help out, so there are many times when I read your blog, I feel less alone.

Thanks for sharing your life. I haven't any answers for you, but like I said, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Andrée
andreescollages.com